Christopher is a partner in DeWitt’s Madison office. Christopher has practiced law for over 20 years and exclusively in family law for over 15 years. He is greatly respected throughout the state and have received numerous awards and recognitions for his work in family law. His practice areas include divorce, legal separation, annulment, child custody and placement, child support, alimony/maintenance, same-sex divorces, marital property agreements and grandparent visitation rights.
For more information regarding Attorney Krimmer’s practice areas and frequently asked questions regarding divorce, click here.
Christopher is a leading authority on same-sex divorce in Wisconsin. He has taught Sexual Orientation and the Law at Marquette University Law School for over 10 years; he has written numerous published legal articles on the topic; has presented lawyers and judges regarding the unique legal issues involving same-sex divorce; and is the lead author of the book, Sexual Orientation and the Law in Wisconsin.
For more information regarding Attorney Krimmer’s awards, honors and recognition, click here.
Speeches and Presentations
Over 100 presentations to a variety of audiences including lawyers, judges, physicians, social workers, teachers, students, community based organizations, government agencies and the general public. Topics have included high net worth divorces, complex child custody disputes, psychological profiles of parents in child custody evaluations, child support for the self-employed or business owner, the enforceability of marital property agreements, alimony/maintenance with high net income parties; the unique legal issues in same-sex divorces, grandparent visitation rights, and resolving high conflict divorces. A few recent seminars in which Attorney Krimmer has presented include:
Gathering and Analyzing Financial Information in Divorce, National Business Institute, April 10, 2018
- Same-Sex Divorce, Wisconsin Judicial Conference on Family Law, February 7, 2018
- Today’s Diversity and Inclusion Programs: Successes, Ethical Issues and Challenges, State Bar of Wisconsin, December 11, 2017
- Divorce Law: Handling Relocation Issues, National Business Institute National Teleconference, July 5, 2016
- “Divorce” for Unmarried Partners, State Bar of Wisconsin Webcast, May 2016
- Grandparent Visitation Rights, State Bar of Wisconsin Webcast, May 2016
- Case Law Update: Family Law, State Bar of Wisconsin Webcast, May 2016
- Same-Sex Marriage: A Family Law Analysis, Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin Webcast, April 13, 2016
- Wisconsin Child Support & Enforcement Conference, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, October 23, 2015
- Divorce 101: The Basics, Morgan Stanley, Inc., Middleton, Wisconsin, October 13, 2015
- Same-Sex Parenting Rights, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Appleton, Wisconsin, October 2, 2015
- Same-Sex Marriage in the United States, Paralegal Alliance Association, National Webcast, September 24, 2015
- Surviving Michels: Can Third-party Visitation Be Resurrected?, Wisconsin Lawyer Magazine, October 2019
- The Art of Splitting Up: Best Practices for High-Net-Worth Couples Who Want to Separate Amicably, In Business Greater Madison, October 2019
- Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, & the Law, State Bar of Wisconsin PINNACLE, July 2018
- Dissecting the New Family Relocation Statute, Wisconsin Lawyer, State Bar of Wisconsin, July 2018, Vol. 91, No. 7
- Imminent Demise: Register for Domestic Partnership Status Before It Ends on April, Inside Track, State Bar of Wisconsin, February 2018
- Following Alaska’s Lead: A Wisconsin Pet Custody Statute, Wisconsin Lawyer, State Bar of Wisconsin, April 2017
- “New Social Security Law Regarding “File and Suspend” Will Not Adversely Impact Right of Divorced Spouses,” Family Law Blog, March 2016
- Sexual Orientation and the Law in Wisconsin, lead author, Pinnacle Publications, the state’s first CLE book for lawyers representing gay, lesbian, and transgender individuals in Wisconsin (October, 2014)
- Same-Sex Marriage after Obergerfell, Wisconsin Journal of Family Law, State Bar of Wisconsin, Family Law Section, Vol. 34 No. 3, October 2015
- “De Facto Marriage”: Cohabitation Claims in Wisconsin, Inside Track, State Bar of Wisconsin, Vol. 7 No. 18, September 2015
- The Wolf v. Walker Decision, Wisconsin State Bar Association Website, June 2013
- I Blame The Good Wife for My Disappointed Clients, Wisconsin Lawyer, June 2013
- Same-Sex Marriage in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Lawyer, December 2013
- Maximizing Marriage Rights in Wisconsin, Our Lives magazine, November/December 2013
- Breaking Up Is Hard to Do: Gay and Lesbian Divorce, Our Lives magazine, May/June 2013
- The Gay Divorcee: When Same-Sex Marriages End, Wisconsin Lawyer, July 2012
- Domestic Partnership Benefits Challenged in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Lawyer (2009)
- Representing Gay and Lesbian Clients, Wisconsin Family Law Journal (Summer 2009/Vol. 29, No. 3)
- Business Owners in Divorce, Wisconsin Lawyer (June 2008)
- Owners of Closely-Held Businesses in Divorce, The Business Journal (November 2007)
- HIV Confidentiality, Wisconsin Lawyer (2003)
Featured: Our Lives Magazine (profile of my work with Marquette Law School, October 2009); Wisconsin Law Journal (discussing mediation/arbitration for same-sex couple dissolutions, 2011); Brava Magazine (discussing financial mistakes women make in divorce, 2012), Inside Track by State Bar of Wisconsin (discussing U.S. Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage), and Wisconsin Law Journal (discussing domestic partnership benefits, November 2013).